The Rural Development Program (RDP or PDR 2020), in force until 2020, enables farmers to access incentives worth 8 billion euros. RDP aims to support the delivery of the common agricultural policy (2014-2020), prepared in collaboration with the agricultural sector, thus meeting the actual needs of the agricultural sector in Portugal.
The main goal consists of improving the position in the commercial scales, balancing imports and exports. In this context, the aim is to extend agriculture to the whole territory sustainable.
RDP 2020 regulated incentives were established based on the following priorities:
- Preventing eventual rupture in farmers’ revenue;
- Increasing the negotiating position of farmers, encouraging those who organise and work together;
- Supporting sectors at risk of abandonment or with no cultivation alternatives such as tomato, rice, milk and breeding cows, sheep and goats.
- Encouraging more production, with supports for active farmers;
- Promoting the entry of more youths in the agricultural sector, providing more attractive supports;
- Supporting traditional cultures and extensive grazing, native races and farmers in protected areas;
- Modernizing agriculture, creating more competitive exploitation;
- Creating a system of insurance, protecting farmers from possible.
With this new support framework, all necessary instruments have been established to support the development of a stronger agricultural sector