October 1, 2020
Portugal Ventures aims to invest, between €200,000 up to 1 million euros in Technological and Non-Technological projects in the Tourism. Submissions are open until 8th January 2021.
Call Tourism, in partnership with Turismo de Portugal, aims at promoting access to venture capital financing for technology and non-technology projects that boost the competitiveness of the country’s tourist offer, enhance the tourist experience in Portugal, and improve the efficiency of businesses in the sector. Projects that have submitted an application to Revive Natura Programme may also submit their
application to this Call.
Call Tourism intends to identify investment opportunities that contribute to:
- Increase the competitiveness of the country’s tourist offer;
- Enhance the tourist experience in Portugal;
- Improve the efficiency of businesses in the sector.
- Incorporated companies and those to be incorporated that meet the following criteria:
- a) Are located in Portugal (mainland and islands);
- b) Have a multidisciplinary team that can meet the management needs of the project;
- c) Contribute to the benefits associated with the SDGs – Sustainable Development Goals (ESG – Environmentally Sustainable Governance) by offering solutions that encourage:
- i) The dematerialisation of process and services (e.g. App key instead of a key card, glass cups, amenities dispenser instead of single-use bottles, etc.)
- ii) The recycling, reuse and reduction of waste (recyclable and bio-waste);
- iii) Combine clean energy (e.g. solar panels);
- iv) Improve energy efficiency (of equipment, processes and materials by reducing heat loss, efficient equipment, etc.)
- v) Improve water efficiency (efficient flow reduction/management, harness water, circular or integrated water circuits, etc.)
- vi) Smart mobility (partnerships with local agents, offering eco-friendly equipment = soft mobility, etc.).
2. Incorporated companies must also:
- a) Be in the startup, early or growth stages and in operation for seven complete years from the date of commencement of activity, at the time of investment;
- b) Not be deemed “undertakings in difficulty”, as defined by Commission Regulation (EU) No. 651/2014 of 17 June. Consolidation operations are included and restructuring operations are excluded.
- c) Fulfil the legal requirements to pursue the respective activity, namely are duly licensed for such purpose and are registered with the Portuguese National Tourism Registry.
- d) Keep accounts, have a balanced economic and financial situation and have no amounts outstanding to the Tax Authorities and Social Security.
Sectors – Technology
• Artificial Intelligence
• Virtual and Augmented Reality
• Internet of Things
• Clean Tech
• Software or hardware that enhances the tourist experience or contributes to a more efficient
Sectors – Non-technology
• Design hotels, boutique hotels, eco-resorts and similar establishments
• Innovative accommodation (glamping, houseboats and similar accommodation)
• Tour operators
• Theme parks
• Nautical tourism, equine tourism, gastronomy and enotourism
• Tourist animation ventures
About Portugal Ventures
Portugal Ventures was founded in 2012 to drive the global success of Portuguese companies, helping them achieve competitiveness goals in all stages of development.